PROGRESS! SUB-FLOOR UP, INSULATION OUT, HOLES FILLED, & RUST TREATED.

Making progress!  We have officially completed the demolition phase of the skoolie conversion! Below you can see the first wood subfloor piece to come out.  Underneath, you can get a glimpse at our rust situation.  I feel like it was about par for the course.

img_1433.jpg

More rust exposed. Ceiling panels coming down.  We learned a little too late that we were doing this the hard way.  It may sound silly  but we thought all of the screws in the ceiling were philips head screws that were slightly stripped.  We were able to remove most of them with the philips head and then for the remaining ones, we used the angle grinder and cut slits in them to make them accept a flat head screwdriver.  When we were almost finished, a friend told us we had been using the wrong drill bit the whole time.  We should have been using the square headed drill bit.  Dope.Insulation was a bitch.  Little particles floating in the air were easy to get all over our faces and in our lungs.  We wore masks and gloves for most of the fiberglass removal but still felt itchy afterward.

img_1642.jpg

Here is is cleaned out!  At this point, we were thinking of leaving the side walls in because they were welded at the top.  We were going to lift them, spray foam insulate underneath, and reattach them (and paint them.)  We decided later to proceed to cut them out with the angle grinder.  It is a good thing we did because it exposed some more rust spots that needed to be treated with rust converter.

 

 

 

img_1363.jpg

Our Nature’s Head Dry Composting toilet arrived!!!  Very Excited to have that large purchase out of the way.

 

img_1345.jpg

Removing stickers with a heat gun and scraper attachment.

screen-shot-2016-11-26-at-3-35-01-pm.png

Before and after the rust converter was applied.  Find the product we used here This stuff was really neat!  It goes on milky white and then turns any rust black as it changes its chemical composition and prevents further rusting.

screen-shot-2016-11-26-at-3-34-51-pm.png

Next, we needed to fill the holes.  For the small bus seat bolt holes, we used 100% silicone which is waterproof.  Then, for the larger holes, we patched them with scrap metal and used JB Weld.

img_1843.jpg

Finally, we painted a coat of Rustoleum in bright, easy to see, Safety Blue on the floor.  This felt like a big step for us since we are starting to add things back IN to the bus.

Zac HendersonComment